20170112

"It's All in Your Head"

I caught some horrible stomach bug, so for the last couple of days I've been alternating between sleeping and throwing up. It's possibly the worst case of nausea I've ever had, but it's still preferable to the daily challenges of CPTSD. People are so sympathetic to this sort of thing because they can relate to it... because it'll be all better in a few days... because it's not too uncomfortable to talk about. Sometimes I wish I had cancer so I could just die already instead of being half-alive. No one questions cancer.

Yes, it's in my head. That's the problem. Mental problems ARE physical. When did my brain stop being a part of my body?

http://www.cell.com/trends/neurosciences/fulltext/S0166-2236(11)00103-2

And actually, it's not all in my head -- chronic stress affects the rest of the body, too. According to van der Kolk, "...attempts to maintain control over unbearable physiological reactions can result in a whole range of physical symptoms, including fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue, and other autoimmune diseases" (The Body Keeps the Score, p. 53). I think I'm going to end up quoting this entire book.

No comments:

Post a Comment